The background process MsMpEng.exe that runs by Windows Defender, it is named the Antimalware Service Executable. However, Antimalware Service Executable is causing the high CPU usage. By the way, what is the reason of high CPU usage by Antimalware Service Executable? Commonly, there are two reasons which make it occur. The first reason is the real-time feature which is scanning files constantly, connections and other related applications in the real time.
The second reason is the scan feature fully which may be scanning all files, once the computer wakes up from sleep or once it is connected to a network. That is very annoying error which makes your PC run slowly. Fortunately, we have the solutions for you. If you are having that problem, you do not be panic. In this article we will give you the solutions to fix high CPU usage by MsMpEng exe Antimalware Service Executable. Let’s see its solutions in the text below.
Solution 1: Add Antimalware Service Executable to Windows Defender exclusion list.
- At first you have to press “Windows key + I key” at the same time to open Windows Setting. Then please scroll down to choose “Update & security”.
- After that you have to click “Windows Defender” on the left pane. Then please scroll down to click “Add an exclusion” under “Exclusions” dialog.
- In the next step, you will need to scroll down to click “Exclude a .exe, .com or .scr process”.
- Then once the pop-up window, you can type “MsMpEng.exe” in the box. Next click OK.
- Finally you have added Antimalware Service Executable to Windows Defender exclusion list. The problem of high CPU usage by MsMpEng exe Antimalware Service Executable is resolved.
Solution 2: Change Windows Defender’s schedule.
- At first you have to press “Windows key + R key” at the same time to open Run dialog box. Then please type taskschd.msc in the box and hit Enter.
- After that you have to double-click on the Task Scheduler. Please browse the following path: Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows defender
- In the next step, please scroll down to find “Windows Defender” under Windows dialog then double click on it. Afterwards please double-click on “Windows Defender Scheduled Scan” in the middle pane.
- The next step, on General pane of pop-up window, you have to uncheck “Run with highest privileges”.
- After that you have to click on the Conditions Tab from the Properties Windows. Then uncheck the options under “Idle”, “Power” and “Network”. Click OK.
- Now you can change Windows Defender’s schedule. Click the Properties from the right pane and select the Triggers tab, click New. Then select the Weekly option or Monthly option. Select also the Day, click OK. Ensure that it is enabled.
- It will change Windows Defender’s schedule to work as per your preference. If the scan was running previously, please wait for it until finish. You are able to see the results after its scan have finished.